Thomas Jefferson Building
The Thomas Jefferson Building, also known as the Main Library, is the oldest of the Library of Congress buildings in Washington, D.C. Built between 1890 and 1897, it was initially known as the Library of Congress Building. In 1980, the building was named in honor of Thomas Jefferson, a Founding Father, the principal author of the Declaration of Independence, and the third U.S. president. In 1815, Jefferson's donation of his own book collection formed a core foundation for the library's collection.
Thomas Jefferson Building | |
---|---|
The Thomas Jefferson Building at the Library of Congress in April 2007 | |
Location within the District of Columbia | |
General information | |
Architectural style | Beaux-Arts |
Town or city | Washington, D.C. |
Country | United States |
Construction started | 1890 |
Completed | 1897 |
Design and construction | |
Architect(s) | |
Library of Congress | |
Added to NRHP | December 21, 1965 |
The building is located on First Street, S.E. between Independence Avenue and East Capitol Street in Washington, D.C. across from the United States Capitol. It is adjacent to the library's additional buildings, the John Adams Building (built in the 1930s) across Second Street, and the James Madison Memorial Building (built in the 1970s) faces it across Independence Avenue.
The building is designed in the Beaux-Arts style and is known for its classicizing façade and elaborately decorated interior. The building's primary architect was Paul J. Pelz, who initially began work on the building in partnership with John L. Smithmeyer, and was subsequently succeeded by Edward Pearce Casey during the last few years of construction. In 1965, in recognition of the building's historical significance, it was designated a National Historic Landmark.